April 19, 2007

Computer Science and Women

I was bemused by this article in the NYT:
Computer Science Takes Steps to Bring Women to the Fold
By CORNELIA DEAN
Even as women approach or exceed enrollment parity in mathematics, biology and other fields, their presence in computer science is static or even shrinking.

This quote pretty much sums up my feelings about computer science as a field to study:

They think of it as programming Dr. Cuny said.
Yep, I do think of it as programming. Unfortunately, that is what it all looks like when you look at the course offerings. It is what turns me off every time I consider legitimizing my "place" as a computer geek. I enjoy a bit of code. I am excited by what I can do with it. I like figuring it out. I like making functional, even attractive spaces...but umm yeah...I don't want to take three years of something that will be outdated in days. Sigh.
I do want people to see the exciting part though...the look! Catch on to this...it is cool and it IS what you want to do with your life.

No comments: