September 27, 2006

Weirdly Built and Unobservant

I never noticed an oddity about my hands, until I was reading this article which says "The findings, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, found that women with ring fingers longer than their index fingers had performed better at running and associated running sports such as soccer and tennis."

Now that is all well and good, except I did what you probably did when you read it. (and probably when you read the whole gay people finger findings study too) I looked at my hands to see if I had some missed sporting potential. I noticed that indeed my right ring finger is FAR longer than my right index finger. Again, all well and good. Then I looked at my left hand. I am left handed by the way. My left ring finger is a smidge longer than my left index finger, but just a smidge. Nothing like my right hand. Now, you would have thought in 37+ years, I might have noticed this. I spend a lot of time looking at my hands but never noticed this oddity. I am troubled. My fingers should be the same length on both hands. I always thought my face and hands were symmetrical. I knew my breasts weren't but, hey, not many people's are exactly even. (and btw-3 kids and breastfeeding did a lot to make them more even)

So, not only did I discover that I have untapped athletic predisposition, I discovered I am uneven. They should suppress that stuff.

1 comment:

skeet said...

Well, shoot, you made me look!
I'm apparently supposed to be an athlete - with both hands!