February 28, 2006

Reese's

It apparently is Sugar High Tuesday here. I have been meaning to write about the Reese's Cups with Caramel for a while. The empty package has sat in the glove box of the car for weeks, saving it to write about it. So now, I will. The commercial for Reese's cups at one time said "There is no wrong way to eat a Reese's." That was pretty much true, except for sensibility issues. This doesn't hold true for the caramel one. If you hold it upside down, hoping to keep what appears to be runny caramel (it really isn't) you miss the caramel in the bite. Right side up they are pretty darn tasty, but not a replacement for the old standard.

The old standard is what led me to purchase the new "Fudge Reese's Egg" tonight at the pharmacy.

You see, Reese's have a season and it is PRIME season. They come into season in October, Halloween really. In Florida, this is not quite the perfect time because it is still too hot for optimal quality. February and March really are the best times. I really feel like I should cross my fingers every year and hope that Easter is late. Easter is when Reese's go out of season, you know. Reese's celebrates the end of the season with the ultimate treat: the Reese's Egg. Once they are off store shelves you know the season for peanut butter chocolate goodness is over.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my pharmacy has stocked the "seasonal" aisle with springtime goodies including Reese's eggs. The ultimate can be found accompanied by a white chocolate one (yick, won't try it, hate white chocolate, but have seen it before) AND a fudge Reese's egg. Hmmm fudge? Sounds wrong. It IS wrong but it really is quite decent. It has not what I would call a fudge coating but more of a semi-sweet chocolate outer layer. Not bad at all, they better not get any ideas about switching over entirely though.

2 comments:

Emsxiety said...

I love reeses peanut butter cups, but not the inside out ones, peanut butter on the outside is just wrong.
HJ loves the white chocolate peanut butter cups, they also taste very wrong to me.

Reeses are milk chocolate with peanut butter inside and the commerical is, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter, yeah well you got your peanut butter in my chocolate!

nelle said...

Reese's with caramel? This is sacrilege!

I cannot be eating this stuff...
I cannot be eating this stuff...
I cannot be eating this stuff...